09 October 2011

Japanese TeaBowls

Touching back on form and function, that is the main difference between winter and summer tea bowls. Winter tea bowls are taller as they keep the tea warmer longer. The summer bowls are smaller and wider as they cool the tea. I would like to make a summer tea bowl because I am more visually attracted to it and since I just go done making a tall coil pot the idea of making something smaller pleases me. I find the Raku firing process fun and fascinating. That something so simple and primitive can make wonderful pieces of art. When I was looking at the glazes, the one that I found most interesting was the crackle glaze. I really like the white crackle glaze mainly because the areas that are not glazed will be blackened.

In relation to the picture....     does it look like it belongs in a forest?

Belong in a Forest:
(1) It is round; generally organic objects naturally have a round form.
(2) It has earth tones of brown, similar to that of dirt and maybe different plants.
(3) It has a rough texture to it. I feel as though objects in nature are worn due to weather elements as well as animals and people.
(4) The overall form is unique has isn’t symmetrical and has its own personality. The lip of the tea bowl has a unique asymmetrical form.  I sometimes tend to personify different objects in nature, as they are living plants all around forests.

I thought I would start by looking up perfection. The definition on Credo Reference from the Dictionary of World Philosophy takes a more religious approach and talks about how it is a sign of a characteristic of God, how God is without fault and the  “highest good.” Also how other beings want this. I then narrowed my search to just art, I then came across The Bloomsbury Guide to Art discuses nature. It talks about how nature is hard to define and that most of the time we think of birds, trees, flowers, streams, and mountains. In the 18th century Royal Academy, it was defined as more of a collective idea and as an artist you were to keep yourself away from it. This later changed in which artists were to look at nature to train themselves in art.

1 comment:

  1. Good, Kathleen. What you ran into looking up "perfection" in Credo is the contrast between East and West--different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete